Saturday, August 2, 2008

13 mile long run

I can now say that the training has started, as I went over 10 miles the first time in a non-race sitatuion since the 2007 Marathon.

weather is 82 degrees (which is good), humidity felt like 90% (was actually a lot lower after I checked weather.com) but the best part about the weekend is that the long run is over.

Decided on a variation on a run I completed often last year.

Left Park Slope, up over the Brooklyn Bridge, down into China Town to the FDR, followed the running path up to the ramp for Houston street and then cut across on Houston, waved at Zeke and Megan's apartment and then continued on the the West Side HWY. Ran the West Side Highway to Battery Park, then across again, over the bridge, through Boerum Hill and back to Parkslope

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/ny/brooklyn/313794033

total run: 13.08 miles
total time: 1:59.08
AHR: 154
averaged an 8:58 minute mile
splits were a bit off
first 6.50 in 58.48
last 6.58 in 1:00.20 but I did have to stop at a deli downtown to get a gatorade which added at least a minute to my time, (not to mention added aggrevation to the poor guy working the counter as I handed him to soaking wet singles and then ran off.)
My first thought I had when I hit the halfway point was How the heck am I gonna get through four of these in November???, I definitely did not feel like this was a very easy run, but I guess no long run ever is easy. Especially if the humidity feels as bad as it did today.


Did suffer what can be described as the first injury of the long runs.. MAJOR nipple chaffing.. Will have to figure something out to avoid that..

some notes for the next run
1) i really should have some food in my stomach for these longer runs, I start to lose energy too quickly and feel hungry throughout
2) the utility water belt I have it terrible, those bottles feel like they are bouncing up and down, I can't seem to figure out if it is supposed to sit at my hips or a bit higher because at my hips it bounces like crazy, especially the two bottles on the back
3) need to get a new heart-rate watch, this Reebok one just doesn't give me a realistic number if i get over a certain heart rate
4) might want to consider slowing down a bit for the next run, try to keep the AHR under 145 like i was doing last summer, makes for a much more comfortable run although obviously quite a bit slower


did two 4 mile runs on the treadmills this week along with the one 4.67 Prospect Park run.
1 recovery run tomorrow of about 2.5 miles and then we can put week 5 in the books.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work on the blog. We waved back at you! You probably missed us, but we were up there cheering you on!